Monday, January 12, 2015

Preschool Outreach - Feelings theme

Today I went to a local preschool where I go every other month for a 1/2 hour storytime. It was raining so I put my ukulele in the car at the last minute. My theme lent itself to my uke because nothing makes me happier than playing my uke. Also, I had just played You Are My Sunshine yesterday I figured I could play it pretty well. The problem I have with playing any instrument that it ties up my hands and the kids will not do hand motions with me unless I do them in front of them. This happened today as well. I showed them the hand motions and sang and then we sang while I played. Not one kid was able to do the motions on their own. I am not surprised, just realize that playing uke for storytime works better when there are parents and caregivers to model the hand motions.
The books I read were: Grumpy Cat by Teckentrup Kids liked this one
Can you make a scary Face? By Thomas The kids loved this one.
Taking a bath with my dog and other things that make me happy by Menchin A little too basic for this group.
Today I Feel Silly by Curtis A bit too much of a repeat from the book before this one.
I did a game on the flannelboard where I put up a face and they guessed the emotion. I did this finger play:
Frogs
One, Two, Three, Four, Five [Hold up hand and count fingers.]
Five little frogs standing in a row
This little frog stubbed his toe [Point to each finger following the rhyme.]
This little frog said, Oh, Oh, Oh!
This little frog laughed and was glad
This little frog cried and was sad This little frog, so thoughtful and good, Ran for the doctor as fast as he could. (run your finger all over the place)
I was surprised how much they liked this one. We did it twice.

Songs - Open Shut them, Oh what a miracle, If you're happy and you know it, You Are My Sunshine, and Bean Bag Alphabet (Palmer)

We also sang Happy Birthday when the teacher told me someone had a birthday. I played in on my uke but I really messed it up. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment