Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Toddler Storytime - Food, Glorious Food!

For this week, I took my pizza storytime and my cupcake storytime and smashed them together to make a food storytime.

Opening song - Open shut them
Book #1 - If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Numeroff
    I wish I had done our big book for the If You Give a Moose a Muffin because I had a very large group. But it went okay.

Action rhyme:
Fruit Salad (Jbrary)

Flannel rhymes: Hand me down Pizza by Irving
Five Little Cupcakes by Dr. Jean

Book #2 - Soup Day by Iwai
 This one might have been too long but I liked doing something multicultural.

Action songs: Spaghetti Legs by Gill and If you're happy and you know it (ending with if you want to hear a story sit right down)

Book #3 - The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Carle
 - I would have liked to do this as a flannel but I have one child who enjoys taking my flannel pieces and destroying them so I just read the book.


Scarf songs -
  Popcorn Kernals (Jbrary)

  Baking Pizza (Abby the Librarian)

Closing song - What a Miracle - Palmer

Got out the Parachute - They loved it but it was a little disorganized. I am going to prepare more if I do it in January. I am not doing toddlers until January 6th, but I have one more outreach before vacation.

My Early Literacy tip was about play. Something like this: The most critical aspect of play as it relates to language development is that children learn to think symbolically. They learn that one thing, like a block, can represent another think like a phone. It is the very kinds of thinking that is used in language. A picture of an apple or the written word apple represents the real apple.




No comments:

Post a Comment